[Shotimes] water pump ? noise?

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:37:34 -0800

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:36:31 EST, Pacfarm@aol.com wrote:

>.WHAT DOES A BAD WATER PUMP
>SOUND LIKE?...........MY 94 SOUNDS LIKE
>CRAP....RATTLES..CLICKS...TICKS...RUNS FINE JUST HEATS UP A TOUCH...THANKS IN
>ADVANCE

Hi Art...

Welcome to the list.  First....you need to turn your caps off.  In the E-mail art
form, a post in all capital letters is used to YELL at the person you are writing
to.

Also, when you are asking for help, you need to describe your car more.  How many
miles it has, so we can figure whether it is still mostly factory equipped or not,
and very important....is it an automatic (ATX) or manual (MTX)?  Also, you might
mention where you live.....a long time list member might live just down the street
from you.

Your water pump.....do you have an automatic or manual tranny car?  The accessory
belt idler pulley system is different for the two engines.  They can make a whole
lot of noise, in either case, and make the engine sound like it is about to explode.
 Alternators can also make a lot of noise when the bearings are beginning to go.
The water pump itself can lose its bushing, and make a rumbling sound at
idle....usually that will go away when you speed the engine up, as high speed
inertia steadies the pulley and stops it from wobbling around in the pump housing.
The pulleys will get louder and increase their frequency of noise as you speed the
engine up, but will not go away.  The easiest way to find which component is making
the noise is to use a probe to touch and feel it, and also you can put your ear to a
long stick or screwdriver that is touching the various parts, where it is safe to
touch them while they are running, and listen for a noise that matches the overall
noise the engine is making.

Try to listen to the various parts, and tell us what you find.  Parts are available
from various people here on the list if you don't have a source of replacement parts
that are discontinued from Ford, like some of the pulleys.

George and the Lowrider, a very high (259K) mile early 1990 SHO, in Suisun,
California