[Shotimes] squeak behind instrument panel, part 3

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:48:40 -0800

> My 91 has a squeak coming from behind the instrument panel.  Some have
said it's the blower motor, but I think we can rule that out.
> The squeak is speed-related and it occurs with the ETAC turned off.
>
> I recently replaced the upper speedo cable and lubed both segments.
>
> Has anyone ever had a speedometer develop a squeak?  My current theory is
that my speedo needs to be lubed or replaced.  I'm going
> to call a local speedo shop.  Any other ideas?

I've heard of people saying their SHO speedometers still squeak even after
replacing the cable, and that the speedo head was the culprit.  I don't know
if lubing it will help or how long it'll last, but it's not that hard to
take it out and try, and is definitely better than replacing your speedo
unit and throwing off the mileage of the car.

It could also be that you just need to relube the cable.  My SHO developed a
squeak soon after I bought it, so I lubed it with WD-40, which lasted maybe
a month.  The next time I used the Valvoline spray lubricant, and it's been
quiet for two years now.  Just now it's starting to make noise again once in
awhile when it's cold out, so it'll get lubed when I replace my clutch.

Good luck!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it here: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)
85 Omni GLH-T (Autocrosser)