[Shotimes] OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:18:50 -0500

Starting fluid (ether....or it used to be, anyway) was SOP for starting carb
engines for many, many years. If the engine won't "catch" on the fluid,
there's an ignition problem. The stuff evaporates quite quickly.

Sounds like maybe it isn't getting fuel.

Never let her "mechanic" friend TOUCH the car, not even to get an oil change
at the Jiffy Lube place where he probably works.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Scott Sweeney
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 5:16 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] OT Starting Fluid: Good or Evil?

Having a bit of a debate with the significant other, would like some input
form everyone.

Scenario:  Wife's 1984 Monte SS won't start (stock 305 four-barrel).  Will
pop every third or fourth turn, but thats it.  Over the course of an entire
day of trying to start it, I probably go through half a can of starting
fluid.  As we all know, you never really get it all in anyway, so I know
that much didn't go through the system.  And I could get it to "run" if I
pumped the gas as fast as I could and turned it over, that and it would pop
every thried to fourth turn, so its not like the starting fluid filled all
the  cylinders and stayed there.

She has a "mechanic" friend who seems to have her convinced that I have
ruined everything and have mucked up the works.  He says I ruined the plugs
so I pulled one and it was covered in carbon, which obviously isn't created
when starting fluid burns and I wire brushed the plug and it appeared to be
in perfect condition.  He also says that starting fluid is only for diesels.

Can anybody out there back me up (or put me down) on using starting fluid as
I did?

Thanks in advance.

-Sweeney