[Shotimes] re: the old SHO

James White greensho@crown.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:03:39 -0600

All 4 corners of the old '93MTX are sad.

Trying to figure out if I should let my daughter continue to drive the thing
around town.

One lower ball joint is a little loose as is one outer tie rod and one inner
tie rod end.

Both rear struts are shot and one makes a really bad sound.  Who knows what
else needs to be replaced once I start to tackle the rear? And how
expensive?

Would need to get all of the parts so I could have it out of commission only
for one week-end, but what else should I replace?

The list so far includes both lower control arms, both inner and outer tie
rod ends and both rear struts (Koni under warranty).  Likely, I will need
rear sway bar links, but AutoZone has those on their shelf and front sway
bar links, but Advanced Auto has TRWs and they would be under (hopefully)
warranty.

Have a set of strut mounts that I replaced out of the '95MTX as a general
principle, but wonder just how good these are.  Is there any way to tell?

Also, one of the Dyno-crap mufflers has rusted in two.  Wonder if I can fill
out the warranty slip out now for the ones that I just bought for the '95,
get the warranty and immeadately claim a rusted muffler?

And I am not going to be able to do this until at least mid March.

I am broke!  Salary plus commission and the Feb. commission check was the
lowest in 2 years!  My commission is only paid when my customers pay us, and
in Jan., not many did!

But somewhat amazing is the fact that this almost 10 year old machine still
runs OK.  Starts good!  2 1/2 year old clutch (not many miles) is better
than the one on the '95. Trans is a little stiff getting into first
sometimes, but maybe fresh Redline would help?

Only rust is on the trunk lid corners and on the drivers door "A" pillar.
Seats are in better shape than the '95 (maybe the leather got cheaper in
later years?) Other than suspension issues, the only other realproblem is
the A/C.  When my daughter graduates this June with her C.E. degree and
finally moves out (HORRAY!) she will get a Mini Cooper and leave the old SHO
here.  Maybe this will be the next "salt whore"?

Jim White - greensho@crown.net
Valparaiso, Indiana
'93  5 SPEED   277k few mods (but lots of suspension issues)
'95  5 SPEED   236k lots of mods (more mods will have to wait for the next
'95)
"double clutch"  it's good for both you and your SHO