[Shotimes] Could my mtx be bad?

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:09:07 -0800

Hey Everyone,

While figuring which clutch I want to go with for my next clutch job, I got to
thinking.  My SHO has always been more difficult to shift than every other SHO
I've driven, but I just attributed it to my clutch, although it was still kind
of notchy even when the last clutch was brand new.  When I did the drain plug
mod, I put in Amsoil, and the thing WOULD NOT shift at first, but started to
loosen up, and allowed me to get home to flush that fluid out and install
Mobil 1 ATF.  The Mobil 1 made if feel better, but still not quite as good as
I think it should.

It has gotten to be a real pain shifting lately (sometimes nearly impossible,
other times great), but it doesn't have the other symptoms  I had when my
first clutch died - I don't have to turn the car off to get it in gear if I
put it in neutral at a light, reverse doesn't grind when shifting from neutral
as long as the clutch has been engaged for a couple of seconds, and I don't
have to rev-match to get it to shift.

The car only has 98K on it, and I bought it with 48K, so I wouldn't think the
transmission would be bad in 48K, but who knows.

Has anyone had problems with their mtx's other than differentials grenading?
If so, what was the problem?  Since I really can't afford a new clutch right
now, I don't want to go through the expense of installing one only to find out
the trans is also bad.

Any information you guys have would be appreciated - even if it's to tell me
I'm being too paranoid! : )

Thanks!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (See it at: www.cardomain.com/id/sh0gun)