MTX fill plug was RE: [Shotimes] Could my mtx be bad?

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:51:08 -0500

Hey
Got to thinking the other day...Has anyone ever installed a fill plug on
the top of their MTX-IV trans? If fluid ever needed to be added or
drained, it would be a lot easier than jacking up the car and dealing
with that stupid fill plug and spending 30 minutes with your hand in the
air while you running 10 miles of clear tubing down to the transmission.
Is there any room on the top of the trans to do this? I am not in front
of my car right now (obviously) but it seems that there would be room to
access it forward of the throttle body... Although the rad hose might
get in the way..

If I get a chance today to look and see, I'll take a gander..

Thoughts, opinions?

Ian
2 transmissions, 2 drain plugs, 2 sideways fill plugs

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Mark Nunnally
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 9:00 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Could my mtx be bad?

here's my .02, if its worth even that :o)

Synth ATF is good for the stock diff, the pinion shafts need all the
lube they can get.  And it's good for open track if you have a quaife,
as the quaife tends to cook up the fluid to 250F+ under severe use.

But for street driving and drags, I like regular ATF.  Shifting tends to
be much smoother, especially if the blocking rings are new.  Didn't
realize this a few years back when the first few trannies I rebuilt,
used Mobil 1 synth ATF and they all shifted like junk.  Finally figured
it out and from then on I always use el cheapo organic ATF with new
rings.  (and be easy on them for a several miles).

mark