[Shotimes] Re: Heim jointed sway bar

Leigh Smith leighsm@concentric.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:15:20 -0500

Joseph;

My Z28 has a heim jointed sway bar in the front, and a solid mounted one
in the rear. Similar to most race cars. Mine were originally made by
Rancho. There is a sliding alum clamp, that slides on the straight ended
bar, and is tightened by a cross-bolt. The cross-bolt goes thru the rod
end on the heim joint. There is a similar bracket that bolts to the
a-arm that holds the other bolt from the other end of the rod-end.
Adjusting the length just a small amount makes large differences in the
handling balance. The bar gets stiffer as the lever arm gets shorter,
and vice versa.

I really think someone should try designing this on a SHO. The rear one
looks easy to adapt to me. That bar is pretty straight and level, and
shortening the lever arm would make a big difference. On the Z28, I
juggle rear bar diameters, and lever length. I can feel as little as a
1/8 in. change in dia. or length.

I tried to find a pic that looks like it could be made for the SHO. What
do you think?

Leigh

van Oss wrote:
> Leigh, say more, or send a photo, please.  I'm wondering what this looks like.
>
> Joseph van Oss

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of bar.jpg]