[Shotimes] A quick one for all the aftermarket stereo guys....

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:09:53 -0500

Since I just installed my Sony in my SHO Sunday, I feel I am qualified to
answer these Q's :-)

The factory amp really does suck (it has less than 50watts per channel).
The factory speakers are just adequate.  This is a Premium Sound system, not
the JBL, so I didn't have a subwoofer.

If you stereo does not have pre-amp outputs, but does have 4-channel power,
get the $20 deal from Best Buy.  If your SHO's radio speaker harness has
been chopped up (like mine was), it is easier to run new wiring (the premium
sound harness from the radio to the amp has light gauge wiring) to the
trunk, and splice into the speaker wires.

If you have not already done so, plan on getting some new speakers (the
3.5"s in the dash really do suck, get some of those NOW, besides good ones
are in the $30-40 range).  The other speakers (6.5" in the doors, and the
rear speakers) are adequate, until better speakers are purchased.  Good 6.5"
door mounts (I prefer the 3-way) are in the $70-80 range.  For the rear
speakers, get some good 3-way 6x9's, which are in the $100 range (give or
take $20).  If you have pre-amp outputs (the red and white RCA style plugs
on the back of the radio) get a decent amp and some subs :-)

I'm becoming a true audiophile here :-)

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO (w/ a thumpin' Sony, but tinny speakers)