[Shotimes] RE: Bad Power Steering Pump? (was Idler tensioner)

Ron DeReus dereus@fbx.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:05:27 -0600

Yes I did - I swore it was the idler pulley back there making noise and was
stunned to find it was fine, so then I grabbed the pump and tried it - it's
damp under there like the pump or a line may be leaking a little, but the
reservoir is full, and the pump spins easy, no play in it.  Water pump,
alternator, A/C, and front idler are all fine, too.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim and Debbie Leyden [mailto:jndleyden@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 7:46 PM
To: Ron DeReus
Subject: Re: Bad Power Steering Pump? (was Idler tensioner)

When my pump went out it gave me very little warning.  One day it ran just
fine, the next day it growled a little and on the third day it dumped out
the shaft.  Have you removed the belt and spun the pulley to see how it
feels?  The only two things that are in that area are the PS pump and the
Idler.  The only other suggestion I have is to use a long screwdriver to
place at various parts of the motor and rest the other end against your ear
(mechanics stethoscope) and try to locate the aarea where the noise is
coming from.  On the day before my PS pump went out I did this and the noise
appeared to be localized near the rear head on the passengers side.  I was
unable to reach the pump to put the screwdriver directly on it, but if I
had, I'm SURE I would have narrowed it down more.  I understand your
reluctance to just replace the pump.  It is a real bitch to get to and
requires removing the rear motor and jacking up the engine to get enough
room to get it out.  Not to mention the cost of the part.

Jim
'93 MTX