[Shotimes] Cold Weather MPG

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:45:24 -0500

Gasohol is what I call "crap" fuel. The SHO doesn't need the octane, and the
only thing that alky in gas is good for is getting the octane
up...........and putting more $$$ into ADM's coffers (fine if you're a
stockholder, I guess)

Alcohol only has about 40% of the BTU per volume that straight gasoline
does, so when you run the typical 10% gasohol, that gas only has 94% of the
BTU level of pure (or what I call "real") gasoline. That affects both your
mileage AND performance.

In my observation, since all three of the SHOs I've owned have run just fine
on 87 octane, running 87-octane "real" gas will give you better performance
and economy than 90-94 octane gasohol.

Higher octane is only to prevent pinging. If your car doesn't ping, higher
octane is a waste of money.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Ron DeReus
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 10:32 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Cold Weather MPG

Ok, then, what is everyone's feelings about gasohol?  Being the corn-grower
supporter that I am, and gasohol having 90-91 octane while being the same
low price as 87 octane unleaded, this is what I have used exclusively for
years in all my vehicles.  I use premium in the SHO for a while when I first
bought it until the list said it was unnecessary.

Ron D.