[Shotimes] A/C problems.

MICHAEL SHELBY mshelby@peoplepc.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:58:34 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, you were right. The outer part of the clutch hub
was spinning, but not the center section. With the
engine off I can spin the compressor by hand so I don't
think it is siezed.

I can get just the disc and hub for $37 from the
dealer, or the entire clutch (coil, pulley, disc and
hub) for $90 from autozone.  Both places have the parts
in stock. Is it ok to replace just the center section
or should I put in all of the parts?

From: "Steve Weinrich" <stevwein@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:59:45 -0500
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] A/C problems.
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>,
	"MICHAEL SHELBY" <mshelby@peoplepc.com>

Look VERY carefully at the compressor clutch.  They can
fail with the outer
hub turning, but the middle has disintegrated so that
the compressor shaft
does not turn.

Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to observe
the nut on the
compressor shaft while the clutch is "engaged and
rotating."  If the nut is
not turning, you know that you are, at least, in need
of a clutch.
Hopefully that will be all and the compressor has not
seized.

Give your symptoms of the noise from the compressor, I
would not be
optimistic that you will get by with only a clutch.
Compressor failures
only cause the refigerant charge to be lost if the
sealed system is
breached.  This is not usually the case.

When compressors seized, they often relase particles
into the system causing
the need for extensive replacement or flushing of other
components of the
system.

Good luck.

Steve