[Shotimes] Aborted? Emissions Test

Christian Andretta passport@optonline.net
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:54:32 -0400

Did they use a sensor in both exhaust pipes or just one?

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Robert A. Pittman,
Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 7:29 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Aborted? Emissions Test

Well, I need help from the gurus once again.

I took my 90MTX, 102K in for an inspection, which also results in an
emissions test.  The car passed the Texas standards by a comfortable margin
last year.  For whatever reason, the exhaust sensor on the tester would not
even register any emissions and aborted (not failed) the test.  It did this
on two attempts.  Now, I would say the tester was screwed up, but cars
before and after my aborted test registered emissions.

Both exhaust pipes definitely had exhaust gas coming from them at idle, and
I don't hear any sounds that might indicate a leaking exhaust.  The car has
been running on the hot side, going up to "N" when stuck in traffic on a 103
degree day with the A/C on, but generally staying in the "R-M" range.  No CE
lights.  None.  Mileage has been pretty much what it's been since I got the
car.  It has been running a little on the doggy side, but I'm due for my
second plug change, and I'm going to do new wires when I do the plugs.

Any ideas?  This seems pretty weird to me.  The car's not smoking or burning
oil.

BTW, one other problem:  The EATC fan doesn't work unless I turn it to High.
Of course, that's probably where it would be running anyway given the Texas
heat.  Won't work at all on Auto.  I suspect the blower control is out, but
I have no idea where this thing is and what you have to do to change it.

As always, thanks for y'alls help and advice.

Rob
90MTX, 102K