[Shotimes] subwoofer replacement

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:13:38 -0400

There are 2 reasons why it sounds better with better amp running it.
The JBL amp is 6ohms, and if you run the sub at 4 ohms, the JBL amp is
most likely sending it a somewhat distorted signal.  The other reason is
probably that the JBL box is either too big or too small for the JL sub.
If I was looking to keep the same mounting style, I would either find an
8" sub that worked with the volume of the JBL sub box, or get something
like the JL IB8, with is a free air sub, and just mount it to the top
half of the JBL box, and leave the bottom half off.  When I bought my
first SHO, it had an MTX 8" sub in the JBL sub box, running off a 120w
Sony amp.  It wasn't a window shacker, but it was ok, at low to moderate
listening levels.

Bill Murray

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Kevin & Cheryl Airth
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 12:40 PM
To: Jim and Debbie Leyden; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] subwoofer replacement

Jim:
 He is wrong. The 6W0 is different from the rest of the JL line. It is
single voice coil only and 4 or 8 ohms depending on how you wire it up.
One
part number only.  Here is the factory page for this unit. I don't know
what
the retail price is.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

 One of mine runs just fine using the stock JBL amp but I think it
sounds
better with higher quality electronics pushing it. It really is too
small to
be a proper subwoofer but I like how the box fits the car.
.
.

> My son in law owns a stereo shop in Ohio.  He says (can't back it
myself
> because I haven't heard one personally) that the JL Audio speakers
required
> more to drive them than the JBL amp will put out.  Also, 6WO is only
part
of
> the number.  you have to specify the Ohms since JL makes them in
4,6,8,and
> 12 Ohms (I think it was a 6WO-6) or something like that)
>
> Jim
>

> Joe:
>  I found a perfect drop in high quality replacement. JL Audio makes
6.5"
> subwoofer. 6W0. They are a little hard to find. I got two on E-bay for
> $70/pair. Used one in a stock application and sounded great. I used
the
> other speaker in my aftermarket setup. I added the factory box and did
not
> like the factory driver. Comparing the stock JBL to the JL unit shows
the
> quality difference!
> .
> .
>

> > Sounds like a great choice.  I tried 4-ohm and 8-ohm replacements
when
my
> > original sub went bye-bye.  Not because I expected them to work,
just to
> see
> > what would happen.
> >
> > Result (as most of you expect): sounded horrible.
> >
> > I ended up getting an OEM replacement (thanks Al).
> >
> > Steve "Still have to pop zits once in a while" Tatro
> > Red/Black '93 with 167k miles
> > Cincinnati, Ohio
> >

> > > PIONEER C16EU20-52D 6-1/2" POLY WOOFER
> > >

> > > it has the correct resistance (6 Ohms)
> > > and can be bought from:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=4
9&Ob
> > > jectGroup_ID=488
> > >
> > > pardon me....  I have to go pop my zits
> > >

> > > I posted earlier today about an inoperative subwoofer.
> > >
> > > The winners are Jim Leyden and Dave Kegel for suggesting it might
be
the
> > > speaker itself.  Volt meter says there is current coming to it
(fraction
> > of
> > > a volt, does that seem right?) and resistance across the terminals
of
> the
> > > speaker is infinite.
> > >
> > > So I'm off to the store.  Someone recently recommended a
particular
> brand
> > > and model number as a good replacement for the stock subwoofer ---
could
> > > someone repost that info?  Please?  Thanks much.
> > >
> > > Also, where's a good source for the rubber grommets used where the
> > mounting
> > > studs come up through holes in the parcel shelf?
> > >
> > > Joseph van Oss
> > >
> > > p.s.  No valve springs involved in this job, sorry.

---