[Shotimes] Re: SHO IN TOLEDO

Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:48:15 -0400

Ok, I went to look at this car Friday after work.  I wasn't prepared or
equipped to start tearing it apart.  As it turns out, I don't think that
matters.

Upon starting, there is no immediate smoke.  A moment or two later, the
exhaust appears blue, with an oily smell.  Revving the car produces more
smoke.  Driving it, it appears down on power, but not dramatically.  I
was picturing it sputtering and chugging, but it isn't that bad.  After
taking it around the neighborhood, with some spirited blasts, it started
smoking worse.

When the engine is running, and you remove the oil cap, there is some
smoking.  It's like puffing (can't think of the word I want to use),
and seems to be linked to a cylinder or two.  I think he's getting some
major blowby.  Bad rings?  The engine had new head gaskets, timing belt,
and other seals replaced before it was installed.

The plugs are Bosch Platinum +4s or whatever, and the wires are not
Motorcraft.  I told him to look at the FAQ for the reasons to use the
Ford parts.  Replacing these might help power, but I think there is
still some internal problems here.  This thing smokes way too much,
and the smoking from the oil filler isn't good.

On a different note, the car seemed to have a regular Taurus hood on
it.  It was scooped down like on an SLO.  Looking under the SHO hood
insulator, it didn't look hacked up like I would have expected.  The
bracing looked slightly different than mine.  No signs of rubbing on the
intake.  This is an ATX.  Maybe that accounts for the clearance?
Definitely different.

So, like Van Oss said, I'm no expert.  But it seems like there are some
internal problems.  He, of course, has spent way too much money on the
car already and doesn't know what to do.  But he loves the car and
wants to keep it.  Therein lies the controversy.

Mike Wojton
Toledo, Ohio

-'95 Green MTX  3/01-1/03
   ShoShop y-pipe