[Shotimes] OT- Questionable Auto Zone experience.

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:39:54 -0500

Well, you have never had the full benefit of the '96 upgrade, as you
installed the smaller '94-'95 SHO 601 pads, rather than the bigger 598 pads
that go with the larger rotor.

FWIW, forget the amount of wear on what you've got.......after almost 4
years, you got your $$$ worth. I would pull it all off, get the rotors
resurfaced if they aren't too bad (new ones if they are), and get the proper
598 from Ford, Porterfield, or even PF....as I understand they have them in
the 598 size now.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Donald Fox
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 3:01 PM
To: shotimeS@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] OT- Questionable Auto Zone experience.

Greetings SHOtimers:
Can anyone provide me with the criteria for brake pads
that are beyone their useful life.
Back in 99, I installed the 96 upgrade on my 95 atx,
and utilized the Performance Friction 6014 pads from
my local AZ.
As of now, they have about 33k miles on them, and I
noted that the driver side pads are now about .25 inch
thick, and the passenger side pads are just a shade
thicker.
I had previously called and asked the manager if there
was a "spec" I should use as a guideline before
bringing them in for warranty replacement. I described
the pads,  and he said that he would take care of it.

Went in yesterday, and manager was not there. Spoke
with another older gentleman who informed me that they
were not worn out enough yet, and that he would loose
his job if he accepted them.
When I pressed him for a thickness to go by, he could
not provide one, but insisted that they has lots of
life left. I told him that I am not one to wait until
I hear grinding before I replace pads.
Needless to say, I was not happy.
Opinions  please.
      Thanks in advance.