[Shotimes] Oil Analysis ever done on the V6?

Michael Humbert humbem@rpi.edu
Sun, 4 May 2003 02:09:44 -0400

Just for some more data, here are two samples from my car.  Similar
results with about 3,500 for each interval.  Car is a 90 w/ 160k, and
nothing at all wrong (aside from current electrical maladies which are
still baffling me).  Numbers are in ppm, and the oil used was 10W-30
Mobil 1.  Yet another detail: the filter used was a Mobil 1 filter,
replaced both times I changed my oil.

date             7/15/02        11/25/02
miles on oil     3,500           3,400
aluminum		 4			4
chromium		 3			2
iron			 10			11
copper		 4			1
lead			 3			7
tin			 1			1
molybdenum		 71		 	78
silicon		 8			8
sodium		 10			12
calcium		 3069			3146
magnesium		 215			60
phosphorus		 841			843
zinc			 952			928
boron			 146			160

All of the larger values are additives, though I'm unsure about the
molybdenum number.  That may be partially due to some piston ring wear.
At
160k miles, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

By the way, if anyone ever does a sample of unused Mobil 1, please let
me know!  I'd be curious to see if the molybdenum is from my rings or is
just an additive.

Mike Humbert
90 titanium w/ 160k
Troy, NY for two more weeks