[Shotimes] fuel tank quantities

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:22:08 -0400

On other thing that running the car down to E does that nobody ever
talks about on here is turn your car into a 4 wheel bomb. Getting into
an accident with a full tank of gas is much safer than getting into an
accident with a full tank of fumes.

Ian "college students are always on E" Fisher

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:12 AM
To: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] fuel tank quantities

Bruce,

It is highly recommended that you NOT fill the tank to the
top of the filler neck or even close.  The reason is that
the fuel vapor recovery system can suck the excess fuel into
the charcoal canister causing problems with the emissions
system for quite a while.

The savings of getting an extra gallon or two of "cheap"
fuel might be a nickle?  maybe a dime?

In exchange, you could have car problems, emissions system
problems and maybe you are a road warrior that doesn't need
to stop for 6-10 hours of driving, but chances are you will
be stopped near a gas station during your "500" mile drive
and can just top off again.

I fill up by letting the pump shut itself off and then I top
off by filling till it clicks maybe twice more.

Also, it is not a good idea to run the fuel level down to E
a lot.  The fuel cools the fuel pump, and keeping the level
above 1/4 insures a cooler pump.  Finally, running the tank
while low also increases the chances of condensation and
water in the fuel.  Try to keep the level above 1/2 tank
most of the time and keep it as full as possible if the car
sits a lot and doesn't get a lot of road trips.

Don Mallinson