[Shotimes] Tranny noise

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 07 May 2003 07:39:12 -0500

The infamous SHO MTX tranny noise is only heard in first
gear.  When you pull away from a stop and are next to a wall
or something that can reflect noise, you will hear the gear
rollover "rattle".  No grunch.  This rattle is standard on
every SHO MTX ever made, and is helped slightly by running
Redline MTX fluid, but that only mutes it slightly and
REdline D4 is the better fluid to run in later SHO's with
the fiber syncro material.

If you have a clicking sound in three gears(it is probably
there in other gears, just masked by other noises at the
higher speeds), then this could be something serious.

IF you don't have a drain plug on your tranny (they have to
be added, they aren't there from the factory) then you
should take out the fill plug and use some sort of pump to
remove some fluid from near the bottom of the tranny.  Check
for a LOT of silver (aluminum) in the fluid.  A LITTLE is
normal.

The gear rollover is not a tick, it is a heavier rattle.
You can tell the difference, just get next to a building in
a fairly quiet area and do a few low speed FIRST gear
takeoff's to about 5-10 mph.  You will hear it and get used
to the sound.  I have not heard a SHO do this particular
noise in any other gear including reverse.

A ticking in the tranny could be the infamous spider gear
shaft working its way out.  or it could be something in the
clutch.  More likely the clutch, especially if the noise is
consistent in both first and reverse.

Don Mallinson
SHO Club