[Shotimes] Very (OT): Ryobi lawn trimmers

mkelley1@gt.rr.com mkelley1@gt.rr.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:15:40 -0400

Thanks for the good info Ron.

According to Ryobi, Walmart carries them now although when I visited our
local Wally world, all I found were Weedeater brand trimmers.  I'm going to
try the Walmart Supercenter in a nearby town to see if they carry them
there.

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:01:49 -0400
To: mkelley1@gt.rr.com, shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Very (OT): Ryobi lawn trimmers

Gee, a subject that I can help with!!!!!  ;-)

I have had a 4-stroke Ryobi model 975r for about 7 years now. I have the
string trimmer, edger, blower, and vacuum attachments. I bought the 4-stroke
for the same reason you mention, as I only has 2-stroke mix for my
snowblower in winter (my mower is a Sears 4-stroke).

Ryobi rules!! Having a single motor head with the attachments is a fantastic
idea, and keeps from having more engines in the garage to maintain.

My only problem was after about 4 years the power seemed to "disconnect"
and not run the tools. I took it apart, and the bushing/bearing/spacer that
positions the driveshaft in the main unit disintegrated. Turns out there is
a Ryobi parts distributor about 10 miles from me, and they got the part in
about a week.

The only other issue is that my vacuum quit working. I've had it apart, and
I can't see where the problem is (VERY simple mechanism). I see that Home
Depot no longer carries Ryobi, as I was gonna bite the bullet and buy a new
one. Of all the tools, the vacuum is the least-used anyway. I would
recommend the edger & blower, though obviously the string trimmer comes with
the base unit.