[Shotimes] Help in noise ID

Kerry Kinion kerry@kinionfurniture.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 20:25:27 -0700

Have you ever replaced your rod bearings?  I just went thru this.
Ticking noise at light acceleration between 2400-3500 RPM's.  I'm not a
pro but others on the list can help you ID.

Kerry ('93 MTX, 111k, fresh 60k+, new rod bearings, bone stock)

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Smith [mailto:RandyMTU98@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 7:46 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Help in noise ID

This last Saturday I started noticing a new sound from my car that I
didn't like.  I'm hoping it's just an exhaust leak, one muffler is old
and the donut could be the culprit, but it doesn't sound like either.
At idle, it's not very loud at all.  Starting out, it seems maybe a hair
louder than recent memory, but not much.  Could easily be imagination.
What bothers me is what started as an infrequent, but now seems
constant, noise in the midrange.  From around 2000-4000, it sounds like
gargling (best I can describe it) if I push on the gas at all (almost
lugging it, but not much at ALL.)  When I rev it up, it doesn't sound
much if any louder than I remember.

Then tonight I was sitting at a light after getting off the eway (the
gargling noise is always there on the eway if I push on the gas much
now) and the car just stalls.  I've noticed the revs drop a bit at
lights before, say from 1000 down to 700, but I'd poke the gas and all
was fine.  I wasn't paying attention to it and it just died.  Could be a
total coincidence, but I dunno.

Looking under the hood and under the car, nothing jumps out at me.  When
I rev it from under the hood, it doesn't make any strange sound.  Almost
like it has to be under load.  Fuel economy doesn't seem out of
ordinary.  I'm dead on the half mark with 190 on this tank (mostly city,
I normally get 23 mpg)

Help!  In the 3 years I've had the car I've put more money in the
exhaust than anything.  So if that is going again, I might never buy
Dynomax agian!  Thanks for any input!

Randy
94 Moonlight Blue MTX - 168k and sick?