[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 00:42:38 -0400

Mr. Garber corrected me in my previous post that said the SHO V6 was a
90-degree motor.....it's 60-degree (DOH!!!).

Anyway, I don't believe that you can offset crank pins THAT much to make up
that kind of a difference. Since Ford used a balance shaft, they obvious
felt they needed it.

Just "a bit of friction"?? That's what saps HP. That's why MTXs only deliver
82% of the flywheel HP to the wheels...the rest is basically lost in
"friction" of one type or another.

Also, since the balance shaft is not as large and as heavy (nor as big) as
the crank, it must be turned at a higher rpm to get the effect. Power is
lost in turning the sprocket on the shaft, plus the bearing friction of a
shaft most likely turning at least 2X crank speed. And the losses are
throughout the entire rpm range.

The Gen 3 V8 is quite smooth, who knows how rough it will get with the
balance shaft out. For a race machine it wouldn't matter, but for a mild
street machine it may be objectionable.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of BJamesjr@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:50 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

> Thinking about it again, the balance may end up being OK, but the engine
> will not be smooth. It will shake just like a........60-degree V8.

Does the V8 have offset crank pins?  I think some manufacturers do this so
that an engine such as a 90 degree V6 will actually fire like a 60 degree
V6.
 If the V8 is made like that, then I wonder why it would need a balance
shaft.

As far as the balance shaft is concerned, I'm having a hard time
understanding why it would require much horsepower to turn.  It seems that
there would be a bit of friction but that is all.

Isn't the balance shaft just a shaft with eccentric weights on it?  If so
then it seems you could machine off the weights and just put the bare
straight shaft back in place.