[Shotimes] Tranny noise

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 09:07:19 -0500

The ONLY thing that is resurfaced on a flywheel when that
work is done is the main face that the clutch touches.  The
teeth are not touched.

This is plain steel, and will rust in an hour in a humid
environment, so a little rust is not totally abnormal, but
most shops will protect a flywheel so it doesn't rust.  I
would sure not want them to put a rusty one in to be used on
a new clutch!  But I doubt it would be that hard on the
friction material.  Brakes rust sitting overnight in the
rain, and then the first stop of the day takes it off and it
doesn't hurt the pads.  Same kind of thing.

Quaife will give you power to both front tires, not totally
equal, but much better than an open diff.  But more
important, the Quaife won't self-destruct on a whim like the
SHO stock diff can and does with alarming regularity as the
cars age, and this is now happening to automatic equipped
cars too!

Don Mallinson