[Shotimes] Y-Pipe to Manifold studs

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 15:38:54 -0400

Question.  Would it be acceptable (or desirable?) to just crack the nuts
off the studs?  That way, there would be no danger in harming the stud
threads, and I could just buy some pretty new brass nuts to re-attach
the y-pipe.

Thoughts?

I've been PB Blaster-ing these nuts for two nights now.  I'll probably
go home and try turning them.  I'm sure with my luck the studs will
shear off and I'll be screwed.

I'm also considering just taking my car to a yellow store tonight (you
know, Car-X, Meineke, etc.).

FWIW, I would have no idea how to drill out the broken studs and re-tap
for new ones.

Sounds like my next project will be new exhaust manifolds!

Any advice appreciated.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 167k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio