[Shotimes] Y-Pipe to Manifold studs

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:07:36 -0400

If the studs will break trying to get the old nuts off, they will also break
trying to put new nuts on (after cracking off the old ones).

Give the old ones a try after PB Blaster. If they don't budge, then use
heat. Of course, even with heat, mine broke anyway!!

If they break, don't even waster your time with a stud extractor....that
will break also, and cause more grief. Go right to Home Depot and get a
carbide drill. Forget the cobalt drills, they are worthless on heat-hardened
exhaust parts.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Steve Tatro
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 3:39 PM
To: 'SHOTimes'
Subject: [Shotimes] Y-Pipe to Manifold studs

Question.  Would it be acceptable (or desirable?) to just crack the nuts
off the studs?  That way, there would be no danger in harming the stud
threads, and I could just buy some pretty new brass nuts to re-attach
the y-pipe.

Thoughts?

I've been PB Blaster-ing these nuts for two nights now.  I'll probably
go home and try turning them.  I'm sure with my luck the studs will
shear off and I'll be screwed.

I'm also considering just taking my car to a yellow store tonight (you
know, Car-X, Meineke, etc.).

FWIW, I would have no idea how to drill out the broken studs and re-tap
for new ones.

Sounds like my next project will be new exhaust manifolds!

Any advice appreciated.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 167k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio