[Shotimes] Brake upgrade question

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:31:55 -0400

Well, here's my Gen 1 story.

And yes, I know that there are Gen 1 folks over the years that had to change
rotors more often then they changed underwear!!

After 3 years and ~60K miles, I had the rear pads replaced, and the front
rotors were replaced under the Corrosion recall back in '92. The original
front rotors & pads were still fine.

In the Summer of '96, with 128K miles, I had the rear pads replaced again,
and I had the front pads replaced for the first time at 128K miles. The
rotors were a bit warped, but I had a $10 rotor turning job done ($5 for
each) in preparation for Blackhawk Farms at the '96 Convention. Figured if I
warped the turned rotors, what the heck!! FWIW, I had Performance Friction
carbon metallic pads installed (lifetime warranty).

I sold the car at 182K in 10/99, and the rotors (with the $5 turning job at
128K) were "slightly" warped. This was also after doing Mid-Ohio at the '98
Convention

OK< what does all this crapola mean? Personally, I would get whatever new
rotor you like, and I would recommend PF carbon metallic pads. Also,
definitely smoke out the PF pads, and they will work much better. If you
feel you want to do "something" to a rotor, get slots ground into it, as
these have seemed to work for folks.

FWIW, having to do rotors once a year is not that bad if you buy AZ rotors
for ~$35 apiece. Also, bleed & flush the fluid at least once a year.

Personally, I would get a set of '94'95 knuckles from Al Fitz, and go to the
'96 brake upgrade, plus put the plugs in the rear valve. My '95 stops great
with this setup.