[Shotimes] 94 Moonlight Blue MTX FS

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 09 May 2003 13:51:42 -0500

Hey, Whoever has their name on the title gets to decide the
selling price.  Don't agree?  fine, but for the mods and
condition, it isn't that far out of line.

When people ask me to help them price their cars (I get a
couple calls a day like this) I tell them that without
seeing it in person and driving it, I can't do that.  I give
them the KBB and Edmunds sites, and tell them to visit
SHOclub.com and check out what others are ASKING on the
classifieds.  That is the key, these are all bits of a
puzzle that an owner or buyer puts together to get a basic
picture of the range of values for a particular vehicle.
 From that you add in condition, rarity, desire and emotion.

Some basic rules:

1.  car pricing guides assume the car doesn't need
mechanical work and has good tires/brakes/clutch.

2.  You can almost never get back anywhere near the full
value of mods done, but you can ask.

3.  KBB and Edmunds inflate the value of dealer cars because
the basically work for dealers.  They deflate the value of
individual cars.  But there is some reasoning for the gap
between these two values: One way to think of it is that
most used cars have AT LEAST $1000 pad in their original
asking price.  The guides assume an owner doesn't start that
high because it would drive off too many buyers.

4.  Anything is worth what someone will pay for it.

5.  You can always come down in price, it is tougher to come
up.  If the car is nice and buyer and seller don't
immediately hate each other, you can usually negotiate, and
make everyone happy.

Don Mallinson