[Shotimes] Subframe parts / bolts! and more...

Chris "Zap" zap@columbus.rr.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 00:09:49 -0400

    Well, I never expected to be asking THIS question of the list, but this
is a somewhat serious problem I just discovered on the '94.  We decided to
finish the rest of the clutch disassembly today and we got as far as
removing three of the four subframe bolts.  The fourth will not come out
completely of the frame due to the little metal piece that holds the
subframe to the frame via a bolt not being welded in there properly, and it
being apart from the frame!!!  Thus the bolt is partway threaded on the
metal piece.  Has anyone seen this before?  Obviously it is going to need to
be welded back together before the car can be put back together.  HELP!

    Second issue:  I was told that the recalls had been completed on the car
when I called the dealer to find out.  I am not really sure what the
subframe plate corrosion issue deals with, but I think this is probably it.
Right now two of the four subframe plates/rubber pieces are off the car.
The third is stuck to the sf and I haven't pulled it off, and the fourth is
hanging on the bolt that won't come out any further.  Comparing the two
subframe "mounts" I find one with two plates and the rubber piece, and the
second has one plate and the inside (plate between the outside plate and
rubber) is COMPLETELY rusted out and GONE.  Almost nothing is left, save a
few pieces of rusty metal.  This piece was on the firewall end of the
subframe.

Answers are greatly appreciated to these peculiar questions!

Thanks,
Chris