[Shotimes] M3 vs. GSX part 2 (long)

James F. Ryan III av8r567@optonline.net
Sat, 10 May 2003 10:57:46 -0400

Propeller-driven aircraft use horizontally opposed engines made by Lycoming,
Continental, and Rotax.  The Lyc's and the Conti's operate at 2000-2500rpm
with the propeller attached directly to the crankshaft.  The Rotax (in my
airplane) runs at 6000rpm but has a 2.27:1 gear reduction unit that spins
the prop at 2500rpm.

The Lyc's and the Conti's are air-cooled/low-rpm/BIG piston-short stroke
engines.  For example, 320ci and 360ci use 4 cylinders and 540ci uses 6
cylinders.  My Rotax is water-cooled and only 80ci.  These engines are not
what I would describe as "smooth".

Jim Ryan
(Living and working in Kentucky for the next 2 months)
Wayne, NJ
'91 Plus - all white/mocha with fiberglass hood, rod shifter, & rear spoiler

255 Lph fuel pump, SHO Shop can & horn, 80mm MAF, S&B cone filter, SHO Shop
HiFlow Y-pipe & cat-back exhaust, SHO Shop LPM, SHO Shop underdrive pulleys,
SHO Shop HiRevs Jr clutch & steel billet LiteWeight flywheel, reinforced
engine & trans mounts, SHO Shop TQ limiters, SHO NUT aluminum SFBs, FPS '96
SHO front brakes, Carbotech F brake pads, Nook's full-body SFCs, Koni adj
struts, SHO Shop linear springs, 24mm FSB, 26mm RSB, SHO Shop steel f&r
STBs, Bridgestone Potenza RE-730 225/55-16, CATZ MSP fog lights, police
grille