[Shotimes] Subframe parts / bolts! and more...

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 08:38:27 -0400

Chris,  I hate it when that happens...  Apparently FORD engineers didn't
plan to ever have clutch failures on the SHO.  : )

Since you didn't specify which bolt was the problem, I'll assume it is one
of front bolts that is stuck on, and also  because you said the subframe
recall was done to your car.  This recall only dealt with the rear subframe
bolts as they had more of a tendency to fail.  I have a copy of the original
recall letter in case you are interested.

Here is the Don Donelson method that I personally witnessed.
A solution that worked on my car was to drill a hole through the bushing and
through the subframe, about 1" off center..  The hole should be about 1/4"
or at least large enough to be able to get a screwdriver in to hold the
wingnut in place while you unscrew the bolt.  As much as I hated seeing the
FPS solid subframe bushings get attacked this way, it was really the lesser
of the evils, and there really isn't an issue with structural integrity of
the part.
I thought this was a rather ingenious procedure and give Don a lot of credit
for this type of out of the box thinking.

And now for a commercial.  If you aren't in a position to work on your own
SHO, and live in Florida, then find Don.  He does great work at a reasonable
price.