Fw: MPG (was Re: [Shotimes] Fuel Pressure Regulator.)

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 16:32:43 -0400

John,  I've been thinking about putting a topic like this too (gas mileage).
My car is a 92 with similar mods, the one exception being my MAF is a 77mm
Pro-M with a SS can. I've cleaned the filaments in the MAF using electrical
contact cleaner and replaced the O2 sensors.  Still my sense is that with
the chip installed, the computer is dumping more fuel into the engine than
it should.  As a result I am seeing poor fuel economy and I smell fuel after
I've driven the car.  The SHO runs great otherwise and pulls like heck in
the sweet spot.  I've noticed that I can get close to 400 miles on a tankful
of gas without the chip and barely 300 with the chip.  I've already sent the
chip back once to re-flash it.
I drive in a very hot climate, South Florida.  Program is for an X2J.  Ted
has offered to modify the programming again, but I am waiting a little
longer to
complete all the measurements.

The reason I was thinking of posting was to find out from other owners with
similar setups what type of fuel economy they are seeing, knowing that this
is going to be variable due to many items, not the least withstanding is
driving habits.  John, you may not have the luxury of running your car
without a chip due to the MAF, but if that isn't a problem, you can also
experiment with this to see if it makes a difference.

Carl P.
92 Red

PS.  Please excuse if this has been discussed ad nauseum before.  If that is
the case, I will go ahead and search the archives.