[Shotimes] Clutch Job, Subframe Parts, Al Flywheels, etc.

Chris "Zap" zap@columbus.rr.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 00:22:46 -0400

    Woohoo!!!  The '94 finally has the transmission out! :)  Now for a slew
of questions regarding the clutch job itself (once parts are acquired) and
also other issues we've run into.

    First, with regards to the clutch, it's been asked 1000 times, but any
suggestions for replacements, part suggestions, etc are greatly welcomed.
Also, is the procedure for the actual clutch/throwout bearing/pressure plate
outlined anywhere?  I want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that it is put together
right before anything goes back into the car.  I plan to use the SHONut kit,
with the upgraded ceramic bearing.  Also, I'm thinking about just doing the
whole deal and getting the one with all new gaskets and such.  The oil pan
gasket is sticking partially out of the front of the engine and I'm thinking
it may lose oil there.  It's only about $30 more and the piece of mind would
be worth it if it would stop/prevent all the oil leaks possible in those
areas.  I don't want to have to rip the car apart again to fix a stupid oil
leak!

    Secondly, the subframe is STILL attached.  We put the weight on the one
bolt that wouldn't come out but whatever the bolt goes through inside to
hold it to the subframe (squareish piece) still spins around even with the
weight of the frame on it.  It has to obviously be fixed before the car goes
back together, so any suggestions are appreciated about doing so.  Also, I
think the subframe bushings are probably on their way out.  I may post some
pictures somewhere if I can borrow a digital cam to take some.  Seeing the
prices, the performance ones are not much more, and I have heard some
positive and negative things about them.  I haven't had the opportunity to
be in another SHO with any mods (as far as I know, but of all 3 I've driven
my '95 has a funny extra power feeling to it) so I don't know what the
personal feel is.  Any input is welcome here, as well.

    Finally, I also am looking for input on Aluminum (Fidanza) flywheels,
the benefits, etc.  This car is my girlfriend's, and her parents pay for
repairs, so I'm wondering if there is a good justification for this one! ;)
I know the labor for this job is probably about double the cost of the parts
price or so, so that might help justify a bit of extra expense.  Is there
any mechanical or wear improvement for the clutch or other parts as a result
of using these flywheels?

Thanks,
Chris