[Shotimes] Intrax as good as Eibachs or maybe a little bit better?

Don McKinnon (AST) dmckinnon@asttechlabs.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 10:36:01 -0400

Norm,
The ride height (suspension travel) is a big difference.  With the Intrax
more like the old SHO Shop linear springs.  Trust me there's not much
suspension travel up front when one forgets to trim the bump stops!  You can
use certain combo of front strut mounts and bearings and such to get more
travel and increase the tire to fender wall distance some.  See SHONut's web
site I think he has something there about it.  If not I have it archived
somewhere.

The following is something I posted in 2001:
------------------
Here something interesting when looking at the various Springs F:R rates in
terms of percentages:
Stock (my 95 slo springs) Front 165, Rear 135, 18% delta

My Hybrid, F (SSL) 210, R (stock) 135,  35.7% delta

SS Linears, F 210, R 170, 19%

Eibachs soft, F 151, R148, 2%
Eibachs firm, F 258, R 194, 24.5%

Intrax soft, F143, R 123, 14%
Intrax firm, F 266, R 249, 6.5%
------------------
Not sure what the delta % of the Intrax vs. Eibachs and Stock does to
suspension tuning of the swaybars.  If your only into street cruising
probably nothing to worry about.

I've always wondered what the resting spring rate is of the progressive
springs are,  as I'm sure that the min rating is unsprung and firm
compressed to some distance.  The spring while installed has weight on it,
say while sitting or highway driving and that spring rate is unknown.  The I
and E springs could be way different at this point, where one only has to
travel 1/2" to be at the full firm rate and the other say 1" to be at full
firm rate.

I road in several SHO way back in 96/97 with different suspensions and liked
the old SHO Shop linear springs with Koni's the best.  I had all intentions
of remaining a DINK and to build a road course quality SHO as I lived in
Indy and Putman Park was not far away.  Then kids came, I moved and away
went the DINK status!  Today I wish I went with the Eibach (only progressive
spring back then) as the SSL quality has diminished over time.  If I were to
do it again today, I'd probably do the Intrax spring with the strut
mount/bear combo that provides the best strut compression travel.

Don McKinnon
95 MTX - White/Mocha 91k miles
Stage 1 Power Package with Stage 1cams
Canyon Carver Road/Race Suspension