Gen 1 Springs..was: Re: [Shotimes] Konis

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:00:03 -0700

On Fri, 16 May 2003 15:15:34 -0500, Dave Kegel wrote:

>Yes, but how do you tell if they're still good or not.  IMO, 12 year old
>springs can't be THAT good anymore.

That's a true statement.

But I know from experience that front springs are tough enough to not collapse under
normal use for the usual life of the normal street driven SLO.  I've had or worked
on two or three other SHOs that have over 200K, and the fronts don't collapse...the
rears definitely do, but not the fronts.  If the rest of the car is in good
condition other than whatever event that put it in the yard, the spring has a good
chance of being good.   And, yes, good is a relative term, but this pair I got were
DEFINITELY better than the ones I was replacing.  Also, for the relatively
short/small amount of work to replace fronts, vice rears, I don't mind the 1/2 hour
or so necessary to try them out.

Out of two sets gotten, I'm 100% so far.

I understand your skepticism, but again, the overall condition of the car, the
condition of the springs themselves, and the odometer, to a small extent, are guides
as to their capability.

George