[Shotimes] Loose front wheel bearings?

mhelpinstill mhelpinstill@ampro.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 06:20:27 -0700

The tech doing my last alignment told me I needed new front wheel bearings
because there was play in them - I could move the wheel about 1/16" by
grabbing the top and bottom and rocking.  You could see the hub moving
relative to the knuckle, so it seemed that the tech was right about the
bearings (it does have 130,000 miles).  So, I bought the parts and spent all
day Saturday replacing the original bearings.  While I was in there, I
replaced the halfshafts as well.  I used the same bearings as the original -
Timken.  When all was done, I checked to make sure the bearings were tight,
and the right one was tight and the other was not.  After throwing a temper
tantrum I settled down and decided to replace the wheel bearing again
thinking it was a bad bearing or bad install.  Extra careful the second
time, and now the left front wheel is just as loose as it was when I
started.  I am realy at a loss on where I went wrong (if at all) and today I
feel like just pushing the SHO off a cliff. If anyone can provide some
insight on what is wrong I would really apreciate it.

BTW:  Hardly used OTC Hub Tamer for sale - used once!

Mark