[Shotimes] Gold Award, what do we need to do?

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:29:00 -0500

Although I don't judge at our events because I am doing
other things, I do help set the rules and try to help guide
the judges.

The goal for a SHOw car is factory fresh.

It must be clean as new and look like new in all respects.

Dirt and wear/tear are what cost points.

A car can be a clean as possible and still lose points
because of scratches, dents, rust, plain wear and tear.

We don't spend a lot of time looking at undercarriages
(bottom of the car) because it is hard on judges and for the
most part, all of our cars are daily drivers.  The few
people that keep their cars stored and never drive them are
few and far between these days.  But if all else is equal, I
would expect a judge to look under a car and give the nod to
the best and cleanest underside.

One convention the decision between best of SHOw and runner
up came down to dirt between the A/C and regular radiators!

I have lost points at shows (with a Camaro) because of a
spider web in the fuel filler area!  Might have been put
there by a spider during the show for all I know.

We may have either a popular vote class or high miler class
again at this convention, we are still tweaking the rules at
this time, trying to make it different and more fun for more
people.

SHOws are always subject to complaints and we get them every
year.  The current system evolved because of trying to meet
the needs of the most people, also to try to not overwork
judges who are volunteers and do a great job IMO.

At this level (basically amatuer level of judging) the
points you get on your car can vary quite a bit from year to
  year.  It should not be so, but people are people and
their "system" can vary.  I have judged in a lot of other
types of shows, and what I try to do is at least be
consistent from car to car, judging against the "perfect"
standard.

Of course if you are in stock class with custom wheels,
paint, motor mods etc, you will lose points.  Stock means
stock in our group.

In the modified group, the amount of mods does not mean
anything, we again try to judge against new/fresh and clean
standards.

Don Mallinson
SHO Club