[Shotimes] 2 1/16" gauge questions (No full sweep kind for electric gauges?!)

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 10:59:12 -0400

HomeboyNorm@aol.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>While browsing through some racing catalogs, I've noticed that I can't get
>the full sweep kind if I use electrical instead of mechanical, is it true for
>all gauge companies?

Norm;
I think that is true thru-out.

The electric ones are much easier to install. They are less accurate and
also highly damped (time delay).
But the mechanical ones are much more accurate, and can have bigger
sweeps on the dial. They are much more responsive (less damped) and can
be made even more so (like oil) by using larger size tubing, not the
straw thin stuff supplied. I use a braided line kit on oil. A responsive
oil guage might just scare you how much & how quickly it jumps around!
Just like instant throttle response. Takes some getting used to.
On fuel you just might see pressure drop at high revs IF it is
responsive enough.

On oil & fuel HIGHLY RECOMMEND an isolation kit to keep the flammable
fluids out of the passenger compartment.

Leigh