[Shotimes] Hard starting

Erik Balser masho95@charter.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 14:57:02 -0400

Well I thought I had eliminated my hard start problem the other day when I
replaced the fuel pump.  Only happens every once in a while.  The engine
will crank and crank but not turn over.  Sometimes you have to floor the gas
to get it to start.  Which leads me to think that the engine is flooding
somehow while the car is sitting off?  That doesn't make too much sense
though. :)  Is it possible that the fuel pressure regulator is failing on
startup? That maybe it's allowing too much fuel in on startup? Either that
or I have a few leaking injectors.  So recently, I've put in a new fuel
pump, and new fuel filter.  Anyone have an idea of what to check next?  My
last tank of gas gave me an average of 22.6 MPG city driving, coming up from
about 19 MPG this winter.  Originally thought there might had been a problem
with the check valve on the fuel pump, but can rule that out now.  Put a
fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail when I was having the problem and when
the pump primed (key to on) I had 0 psi at the schreader valve.  Primed it
like 5 times and each time it slowly rose to proper fuel pressure.  And even
after that it still wouldn't start, I had to press the gas to the floor to
get it to start.. I'm at a loss...and ideas?? Thanks

'95 MTX
Erik B.
http://webpages.charter.net/masho95
http://mashomods.com