[Shotimes] OT- Fieros revisted...

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 24 May 2003 11:32:35 -0400

Interesting o look a old rumors and campaign promises!!

Well, since no GM vehicle over the last 20 years ever came out with a 300HP
twin turbo all-aluminum 2.9 V6, I pretty much put this in the "rumor"
category....not to say that there was never a one-off engineering exercise
(lots of those...which is how many rumors start!).

Looks like they were close on the 3.9 V6.....it actually came out as the 4.3
V6, which is a 350 with two cylinders lopped off.

Always cracks me up when they talked about the "Corvette" motor back then.
No different from the Chevy motor! Only unique "Corvette" motors have been
the ZR1, then the initial LS1 before the F-bodies got them.

Despite the dreams of the Pontiac guys that the Fiero be a performance
vehicle, I believe they knew very well that it could never have been sold to
GM as anything but a fun, commuter-type vehicle first and foremost. I don't
believe there would have been a market for a higher dollar super Fiero, plus
I'll bet the liability issues also came up, as I'm sure they wouldn't want
to contend with the lawsuits for all of the 300 HP Fieros that would be
crashed backwards.