[Shotimes] okay, the subwoofer is not working (no bad language) I'm an adult

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 21:52:58 -0400

>snip<

>Oh, so you're an AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER (your caps)....just like the guys that
>(1) developed the first SHO clutch, (2), developed the CPS, (3) developed
>the SHO rotors, (4) developed the V8 SHO cams, etc, etc......

Yes, we sure did design things like that.  It happens in a company run by
accountants rather than auto enthusiasts.  We have also been responsible for
more advances in technology than any other industry.  period.

My original email to you wasn't nasty, it was an attempt to explain that
just because a part doesn't come off the dealers shelf does not mean that it
is inferior.  Or poorly manufactured.  Or poorly researched either.

Not all aftermarket parts are bad.  Not all off the factory shelf parts are
good.

Personally I'm very glad that you are happy being a parts changer.  I, on
the other hand, have always tried to obtain a little more from my toys and
have never shirked from experimentation.

I'm ecstatic that the stock SHO valve springs are enough for you and all
those people running stock, StageI and StageII cams.  It just happens that I
have been working on a set of split pattern cams (where the primary intake
port has a different profile than the secondary port) for the last couple
years.  Patterned off of a prototype SHO V8 motor that I was privileged
enough to be allowed to dismantle and inspect.  That along with a pair of
heads that have had the intake parts siamesed, the injectors relocated to a
point over the primary intake valve and another set of injectors pointed
over the secondary intake valve.  The second set is controlled by solid
state relays that only allow them to operate when the secondary butterflies
open.  (very similar to a former Lincoln design) After several weeks of
computer modeling on my companies engineering mainframe I decided that the
newer, more radical profile cams might be more than the stock springs could
handle.  Hence my dismay when I heard that Don D had a valve spring failure.
Your reply to my question for Don about whose valve springs he was using was
this:

>snip<

>Any time you get away from factory parts, you take a risk.
>Guess I'm not sure why anyone uses anything but stock springs.

>Ron Porter

Perhaps I should have just ignored you and gone on, but I thought it might
be possible to enlighten you on the fact that there is no solid basis for
condemning aftermarket parts based on the failure of parts from a single
manufacturer.

So you see Ron, not all of us out here are punks that only like to roll
around in the grease.  And, just because someone doesn't respond to every
single topic and isn't always bragging about "I'm doing this and I'm doing
that" doesn't mean that they are stupid or beneath you.  I haven't been
spewing bull all over the lists because I personally don't think it is
anyone's business what I happen to be cooking up in my workshop and there
was always the possibility of manufacturing more sets for other more serious
enthusiasts.

Jim
'93 MTX