[Shotimes] Another SHO goes over 200K

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org
Sat, 31 May 2003 10:09:19 -0400

I suppose you can look at such a milestone any number of ways.  When I
bought the car new, it was my first experience owning a "performance"
oriented car.  But I also have a family and the car performed double duty as
both my daily driver and the family camper.  The car did about 6 years of 80
mile/day commuting, many long trips taking the kids around for BMX racing
with the bikes strapped to the trunk, 3.5 NY to FL trips and one NY to IL,
FL to GA including Road Atlanta and Commerce drags.  Never got stranded.
For all of that use, I think the interior still looks great with the
exception of the sunroof shade (my bad).

One point I am trying to make here is that you don't really have to be
afraid to "use" the car.  There are many people that have high mileage on
their SHOs and lots that see track time.  At 100K miles, you've only half
used the life of the engine.  This motor is rock solid in stock form.  The
only thing to watch for, and I can tell you this from personal experience,
are the rod bearings.  My original motor suffered a catastrophic failure in
this area.  The symptom was low oil pressure and a loud knocking sound at
low RPMs.  I'm sure I contributed to the "early" demise of the motor due to
sloppy maintenance on my part of going way too long between oil changes.  I
don't plan on repeating that mistake.  IF this happens to you though, you
could always do as I did and take the opportunity to upgrade to a 3.2L.  : )

Despite the negative things I've said about design and engineering
shortcomings (they've all been pretty much corrected now either by upgrades
or warranty), the car overall has been good to me!

Cheers,
Carl P.