[Shotimes] Re: G-TECH/Pro fun

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:01:24 -0500

IIRC, it is now an average over the last 60'(??), ending at the finish line.
FWIW, it used to be measured by two sets of lights, one 60' before the
finish line, the other 60' after, so speeds used to be higher. Don't
remember when they changed it, but it's been a number of years.

Key thing is that comparing G-Tech versus a real dragstrip is
apples-and-oranges. The only semblance of similarity is that people use a
"1/4 mile", which is a different measurement for each of the above. Each of
these measure very well within their own arena, not against each other.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 11:14 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net; v8sho@v8sho.com
Subject: [Shotimes] Re: G-TECH/Pro fun

In my testing of a G-tech, and the Vericom, these devices
start timing as soon as the car moves, and drag strips
always have SOME room between the timer and the car moving.
  This means that G-tech/Vericom/Escort devices should have
a slower time than at the drag strip.

My tests almost always had about 1/10 added to the drag
strip time for the G-tech/Vericom (haven't tested the Escort
unit yet).

As for MPH, since the timers make a calculation at the exact
moment of the end of the run 1320' (based on G-forces/time)
the MPH on a G-tech device was always higher by about 1-2
mph than at the drag strip.  The drag strip takes an average
of your mph over the last...what ron? 100 feet?  50 feet?.

Other than that the G-tech/Vericom was as consistent as the
drag strip.

Now, on the street, you have wildly varying traction and a
lot more elevation change than the drag strip unless you are
very careful or know a surveyer!

Running both ways and averaging over the same section of
road is the best way to eliminate elevation/wind from the
equation.

Don Mallinson