[Shotimes] Fixed my A/C!

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:52:16 -0400

As you may recall, my a/c was having problems, and I suspected a bad
compressor.

Had decided to replace the compressor/clutch, the accumulator, the orifice
tube/liquid line, and convert to R-134a.

A co-worker of mine is taking auto mechanic classes at a local technical
college, and he offered me the opportunity to work there, since there are
R-12 recovery machines, R-134a machines, lifts, tools, etc.  Also, one of
his instructors would be around if any problems arose.

So, yesterday was the big day.  We got started about 9:00am.  Keep in mind
that neither me nor my friend knows absolutely anything about a/c systems
;^).  It took us about 4 hours to evacuate the system and get everything
torn apart.  Removed the battery and tray, alternator (so the compressor
could come out the top like the repair manual said), belt, idle pulley,
accumulator and line, liquid line, and compressor (those nuts/studs are near
impossible to get tools on).

We took a 2-hour break so he could attend class (which was in the same big
shop).  I tagged along so I could see what they were learning.  There was
some Civic that wouldn't run, apparently had very little compression on a
cylinder.

We then got his instructor to give us some direction, figured out how much
oil and R-134a we needed to put in (and where).  The instructor then looked
at my compressor/clutch on the table, and gave it a whirl.  He shocked me
when he said "I think your compressor is fine, it's just your clutch that's
toast".  He explained the melted rubbery substance was probably from an
incorrect clutch gap creating too much heat, melting the rubbery part.  I
told him about my clutch gap difficulties of last summer, when I eventually
removed the smaller of the shims (which seems to be a popular course of
action).  He said I may have brought these troubles on myself, so I gave
myself one good kick in the arse.  Since I had a brand new compressor
sitting there and the one I had taken out looked like hell and has 171k
miles on it, I decided I'd just put the new one in.  C'est la vie.

We took a one-hour lunch break (when I got to drive my buddy's S2000...fun
little car!) and bought a new accessory belt from NAPA.  Mine looked pretty
bad, although it probably wasn't that close to failing.

Anyway, we got back and started to reassemble.  First we put brand new
o-rings and spring locks everywhere.  Poured half the oil required into the
compressor, and bolted it into place.  Attached the liquid line.  Put the
rest of the required oil in the accumulator and installed it and the line
(man is that a pain trying to fish that big tube into place).

Since I was converting, we had to put the adapter fittings on both the high
and low sides.  No problem, although the high side (front of the car) sticks
up and is probably closer to the hood than I would like!

Got the alternator and new belt put on, battery and tray reinstalled, and
fired it up.  Started just fine!

Shut it off to put the R-134a in.  It was so nice not having to use the
little cans, rather having a large machine which measures exactly how much
you want to put in!

Started the car, went to MAX A/C and watched the high and low pressures.
Everything was normal, and ice cold air was coming out the vents!  The
clutch kept the compressor engaged just like it should.  Job completed at
8:00pm.  That's 11 hours minus the 3 hours of screwing around...8 hours of
actually working!

Sure, that's a long time.  I'm just glad it's done, and I was able to learn
something in the process.  With each completed job I'm less and less scared
of working on cars.  Besides, I have an estimate for $1400 to do the same
job from the dealer.  I spent about $400 on brand new parts and a retrofit
kit.

Anyway, moral of the story is this:  When your clutch is acting up it may be
worth the few $$$ it costs to buy a new clutch assembly and install it.  The
shim removal should be considered a temporary patch, with the realization
that it may cause you additional headache down the road!

That's all.

Oh, did I mention the S2000?  Fun little car ;^)

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 171k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio