[Shotimes] (OT) Cheap Torque Wrenches

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:37:31 -0400

We have had a discussion of torque wrenches on the 911 for the last few
days.

Anyway, this guy mentioned the $10 Harbor Freight wrench below. Sounded
great, and I ordered one for each car, just to use for lug nuts. If you
enter the p/n online, you can see the picture & info, plus it's $19.99. Do
as he says and "order from printed catalog", and it's $9.99!! For the
catalog, enter as 239 - 3 - vga in the three p/n windows.

Yes, it is a 1/2" drive, but it is good to 150 lbs/ft. They have a 3/8"
drive for $17.99, but it's only good to 80 lbs/ft.

From: Kevin Schwall [mailto:kschwall@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 8:10 AM
To: 911/993/996
Subject: [911] Torque wrenches

After reading a similar account regarding a very successful test of the
Harbor Freight click-type torque wrench a year or so back, I picked one up
for the princely sum of about $10.  For a ratcheting CLICK-type torque
wrench!  Anyhow, while I haven't tested it against anything more precise
than my old Craftsman beam-type torque wrench, it has done its job
perfectly.  Fit and finish is not Snap-On quality, but for 1/20th the price
it's a STEAL.  Disclaimer:  I use it for lug nuts, not commercial jet
landing gear bolts.  For the latter I might go the Snap-On route.

If you go to www.harborfreight.com and enter part number 239-3VGA in the
"order from printed catalog" window, you'll get it for $9.99 now.

Kevin
$10 wrench, $60 lug nuts