[Shotimes] Fuel pump stuff

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:42:07 -0400

I'm about to change my fuel pump out to a 190lph one I got for a great deal.
I've had a problem with the fuel check valve on my 94 Opal Forst for a
while, and I have picked up 3 of the little check valve things so that I
have a supply of them since they were cheap and a special order. I have a
few questions on the whole fuel pump replacement proceedure.

1. Where is the check valve supposed to go, or is it evident when I pull the
pump out of my car?
2. Where can I get more of the little clips that hold the lines onto the
pump fittings? IIRC they look to be about the same as the ones that are used
on a fuel filter.
3. I seem to remember reading a TSB about a fuel smell from the back of the
car while driving, casue of some vent on the top of the tank or something.
Anyone have this TSB or can give me some more details about how to fix this?
I often times have a strong gas smell in the car if the car is belwo 1/4 of
a tank of gas or it is really hot outside. I thought that the charcoal
canister was supposed to absorb the extra fumes and vent time into the
intake while driving. I usually have a pretty good pressure buildup in the
gastank when I pull the cap off.
4.Any special things that I should watch out for or do while I've got the
tank dropped? I was thinking about taking a wire brush to the fre little
spots of rust and then painting the tank with a can of steel colored
rustoleum, just to stop any future rust

Thanks in advance

Bruce Malachuk
94 Opal Frost MTX SHO - my baby - 1 of 241 produced
93 Black ATX SHO - cutting time need the parts
93 Green MTX SHO w/black int.-winter car..needs some love
95 Silver Frost SE - yeah it's SLOw but reliable -awaiting it's SHO ATX
tranny transplant :-)