[Shotimes] (OT) Tire Rack Summer Tire Test

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:20:05 -0400

> Wonder if they have run those against the A032Rs? FWIW, if I wanted
serious
> street rubber for the summer, I would probably go with the A032Rs. Yeah,
> getting V700s or Hoosiers would also work, but hitting the rain
> occasionally, and wanting the tires to last more than a couple of weeks
> would be nice!!

I've found the V700 to do really well in the rain, assuming you are close to
full tread (not that they come with much).

Would be curious to see how long a V700 would last on the street, maybe 5k?

> Only other thing needed is a better stereo to cover up the tire noise from
> the A032Rs!!

The A032R, the Cups, the Hoosiers, V700...etc...all are just a compromise of
grip and useful life.  I think grassroots motorsports did a comparo on some
of the DOT comp tires, typically over numerous laps the harder compound less
sticky tires were more consistant after a bunch of laps (but slower).

I think Khumo has a new comp tire coming out.

The tirerack test backs up what you find at the track, some guy with a $50k
.90 g sports car (street tires) can't figure out why a guy in an old junker
(1.00+ g car on comp rubber) keeps whooping his butt around the track :)

what would be interesting would to see a mag run performance tests on a 911,
Z06, F360, etc. using DOT comp tires instead of the factory street rubber.

mark