[Shotimes] RE: OT Consumer Reports (was Tires)

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:08:25 -0400

No, Don, it is not "obvious"........

BTW (in case you hadn't noticed), BWTM on the back page of AutoWeek is
always a JOKE!!

And yes, I read every issue of AutoWeek quite closely.

None of the current publications have had issues with the new 5-series, from
what I've seen, and it is a damn good looking car, IMHO.

Continuing a discussion about the 7-Series is "piling on", IMHO. Yeah, the
styling comments were made, as well as the comments on the mouse-type
control.

That was two years ago.

I don't hear it now.

I STILL don't agree with your assessment of the Bangle interview. I can go
dig out the sales numbers for the new 745I versus the old model, but I don't
believe that they are ANY lower. Wanna talk ugly....that resulted in lower
sales???.....let's talk Gen 3 Taurus. It was the "Aztek" of the day.

In case I'm not clear....the new 5-Seies is a great-looking car, and many
folks, including car mags, have agreed. Take off YOUR rose-colored glasses.
Yes, US cars have gotten better, but they have no choice....they couldn't
have gotten any worse. Imports are STILL superior overall in virtually every
respect, and the US car-buying public realizes it. The US mfrs would do
better if the US car buyers stayed stupid and put up with the crap they
produce, but it ain't happening.

EVERYONE that I know who lives on either coast has mentioned how many US
cars are on the road in the middle of the country (MI, OH, IN,IL, etc). It
is NOT the case on the coasts. US car mfrs are still in deep shit unless
they get a LOT better at what they do.

Again, what you or I like in styling doesn't matter....sales talk.

They could put the new V10 500 HP M5 engine in the CTS, sell it for 1/2 the
price of an M5, and I STILL wouldn't buy one of those ugly SOBs!!