[Shotimes] Battery/Alternator testing questions!

John J. Weidenbenner johnjweid@charter.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:44:32 -0500

Steve,

I think you will ultimately that both the battery is weak - a cell shortg
out, and the alternator is going bad. I fough poor charging on my 93 atx for
a couple years. The alternator had a bad diode compounded with UD Pulleys
would not put out to stay ahead of electrical demand. This seemed to be
"deep cycling the battery" prematurely wearing out the battery to some
extent.

This was a slowly degrading effect, ultimately throwing a battery ligtht at
start up going off at higher rpm. I hade the alternator "rebuilt" by a local
3 times, but he never got it right. The diode Assy is expensive and
relatively hard to get in this Mituhishi Alternator. I finally deleted the
UPD and later bought a used alternator.

For the battery, I have good success with Autozone's Gold with the 7 year
warramty. With a couple SHOs with the same battery, I (and they Autozone)
scan't seem to keep the staggarted barrty warrantied strait, so I never had
to but an out of warranty repalcement.;-)

John W.