[Shotimes] Have bearings, Will Travel!

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro <statro@thpltd.com>
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:18:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I thought I remembered of someone finding a problem with a main, but man are they a pain to replace.  Unless the engine's being removed from the car to undergo a complete rebuild, I wouldn't touch them.

For those looking for the bearings, NAPA sells the Clevite brand (CB-1435P - standard size) for $7.49 per set (IIRC) so to do all 6 cylinders is $45.  Add $10 for some new oil pan gaskets and you're all set.

Oh, and one may want to locate a new oil pickup tube gasket.  I did one of those crazy parts searches (can't remember the website) until I found a Furd dealer with some.  I bought two just in case, since they're about $1 each.

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 178k miles (and original rod bearings)
Monroe, Ohio

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul L Fisher <sho@paul-fisher.com>
Sent: Aug 11, 2004 9:20 AM
To: Bobbonnit1@aol.com, SHOTIMES@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Have bearings, Will Travel!

Don't bother with the mains. A PITA to change and they are probably OK. Has
anyone  ever heard of a SHO with spun main bearings?

Paul L Fisher

1999 Ford Taurus SHO TR 68K - Kirk'ed 2/29/04.

 - Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30
 - Amsoil TS-124 Oiled Foam air filter

Visit my website: http://www.paul-fisher.com
SHOClub Member: http://www.shoclub.com