[Shotimes] Fixed my 539 code; Fans always on, throttle bump every 5 seconds.

Jeremy jeremy@carrieandjeremy.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:13:52 -0500

For any of you that may ever have this problem, let me recap:

While the engine was running, the fans would always be on, and it would bump
the throttle (as if it was expecting the compressor to engage) every 5
seconds. I ran the KOEO and came up with code 539 - A/C on during self test.
But it wasn't! The ETAC was set to OFF.

ProjectSHO's info said to check pin 10 with the key to ON. So I checked
(many times); No voltage. So I replaced the PCM - Same thing. 539.
Bah! What now? So I chased that Pink/light blue wire (goes to pin 10) around
and came to the CCRM. All connections looked good & only measured .5 volts.
So there's current bleeding but where from? Off we go chasing that wire
again....on to the high-pressure cut out switch.
So I removed the connector that goes to the switch and start the car...
What's this? NO fans?! Werd!! Connect it back to the sensor and wheeeeeee on
goes the fans! Houston we found the problem!

$26 later and I have ICE COLD A/C again! I'm stoked! I was expecting to pay
a mad amount of money to fix this. This was the easiest repair I've ever
done on this car if you count out the hours thinking and tinkering just
trying to find the problem. Seems the switch shorted internally and was
throwing current where it didn't need to go. Luckily it didn't keep my
compressor engaged this whole time.

But now it seems (with the a/c on) my comperssor is almost always engaged.
Perhaps I need to grab a set of gauges and see how much refrigerant I've got
in there. Either way, that's some cold air! Word.

--

Jeremy

'94 Opal ATX, 116k

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image001.gif]