[Shotimes] capacitor compatibility -or- I'm a dumbass

Steve Weinrich stevwein@swbell.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 07:37:35 -0600

Actually, 2000 microfarads is equal 0.002 farad or 2 millifarads.

Prefix:
 Milli = 10^-3  (prefix - lower case "m")
 Micro =10^-6 (prefix u - actually the Greek equivilent).  Most commonly
used

Your original assesment as to the working voltage in your original post is
somewhat correct, that is, the rated voltage on the device is the designed
maximum voltage that the device can withstand without internal insulation
breakdown.

Your most recent post in which you stated "is directly proportional  to the
voltage applied across its plates" is, however, completely incorrect.  There
would be no derating of the capacitance with a change of applied voltage.
Capacitance is capacitance regardless of the applied voltage (as long as the
rating is not exceeded, in which case, the device often becomes a
firecracker).

Steve